In 1930, the Soviet government began a large-scale reform of higher education to ensure that a sufficient number of well-trained engineers would be available to satisfy the demands of the burgeoning industrialization. To that end, the entire system of higher technical education was completely reorganized.
Drawing directly from existing faculties and specialties at various universities, new institutions of tertiary technological education, also known in Russia under the abbreviation VTUZ, were established. Each VTUZ offered industry-specific training programs for would-be specialists. In addition, all these recently created technical universities were transferred to the management of the relevant branch bodies. The full list of Leningrad branch universities was approved on April 25, 1930.
The Mechanics Faculty of Technolozhka and its equivalent at the Leningrad Polytechnic Institute (the Polytech) were merged to form the Engineering Institute, which became a part of the Polytechnic University in 2011. Separate specialized departments of Technolozhka and Polytech were also integrated to create the basis for the Central Boiler Turbine Institute.
1930 - 1941
At the beginning of the 1930s, the USSR faced the challenge of transitioning from “an agrarian to an industrial country”. As new factories were being built all over the country, the “primary task of the moment” was “the creation of new cadres for socialist industry from working-class people and workers in general who could manage the social and political matters at enterprises as well as ensure the proper implementation of technological and production standards”. To meet the needs of the growing economy, the network of technical universities began to expand. The year 1930 marked the beginning of the transformation of multi-faculty universities into branch institutions. The Leningrad Institute of Railways split into the Leningrad Institute of Railway Engineers, the Leningrad Institute of Water Transport Engineers, the Leningrad Institute of Civil Air Fleet Engineers, the Leningrad Highway Institute, and the Military Transport Academy. The Leningrad Polytechnic Institute was divided into ten special-purpose universities, which led to the establishment of “Korabelka” (the Leningrad Shipbuilding Institute) and FINEK (the Leningrad Financial and Economic Institute). The traditional lecture system was abandoned in favor of practical classes following the team-laboratory method. Likewise, examination sessions were abolished. Rather than being taught individually, future Soviet engineers attended classes in groups. The only common feature binding the new branch institutions together was their adherence to the “Marxist-Leninist line of training new specialists”. It was widely believed that a “decisive convergence of theoretical training and industrial practice” could be achieved by transferring universities to the management of the corresponding industries.
In 1930, the Soviet government began a large-scale reform of higher education to ensure that a sufficient number of well-trained engineers would be available to satisfy the demands of the burgeoning industrialization. To that end, the entire system of higher technical education was completely reorganized.
The newly established textile faculty at LICT was converted into the Textile Institute. Today, it has become the Saint Petersburg State University of Industrial Technologies and Design.
The Leningrad Institute of Chemical Technology (LICT) was established on the basis of the Chemical Faculty of the Institute of Technology. It also incorporated the chemical faculties of the Leningrad University and Leningrad Polytechnic Institute, as well as the chemical departments of the Electrotechnical and Petrograd State Chemical-Pharmaceutical Institutes. Notably, the world's first Plastics Research Institute, which had been opened at the Leningrad Polytechnic Institute under the leadership of S.N. Ushakov in 1929, was integrated into LICT.
In essence, the premises of the historical Technolozhka became home to a new university. The universities from which the faculties and departments were moved kept all of their scientific appliances. Therefore, laboratory equipment, chemical reagents, labware, and educational literature had to be secured at the expense of LICT.
The overhauled Leningrad Institute of Chemical Technology became the largest university of this profile in the USSR. Following the first enrollment period, the student body consisted of about 3,100 students (as a comparison, there were 720 students at the Faculty of Chemistry in 1929).
The Department was founded in 1930 by Professor S.N. Danilov as an extension of the laboratory of gunpowder technology. As a prominent scientist and a corresponding member of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR, Doctor of Chemical Sciences and Professor S.N. Danilov perpetuated the traditions inherited from distinguished Russian chemists Butlerov and Favorsky. The first head of the Department was N.A. Golubitsky, who was a leading specialist in the gunpowder industry working as the chief chemist at the Tambov and Okhta gunpowder factories. The Department was established in response to the military, political, and economic situation in the Soviet Union. It was expected to help satisfy the need for qualified cadres for rapidly developing industry and science. Since its inception, the Department has generated significant research. Its main goals orbit around improving existing munitions and developing new ones. Notably, research work includes developing scientific foundations for the synthesis of new compounds and producing components of energy-intensive condensed systems. Furthermore, the Department focuses on developing mechanisms of combustion and regulation of the ballistic characteristics of gunpowder and rocket fuels, as well as the production of specific materials with required properties. The Department conducts research in priority areas specified by the government, as well as on a contractual basis for branch research institutes and enterprises. The Department's findings are also utilized by various industry research organizations when developing new samples of ammunition with enhanced qualities. Innovations pioneered by the Department have contributed significantly to the national economy. They include adhesives, sealants, varnishes, abrasive-grinding materials, materials for the shoe industry, aerosol generators for combating agricultural pests, and more. The Department currently employs a group of passionate individuals who uphold and carry on its illustrious history by training highly skilled professionals. The Department has so far trained 2,300 specialists, who have pursued careers in the defense industry, industrial enterprises processing polymer materials, research institutes and design bureaus, and also in teaching. Currently, the Department is headed by a Doctor of Chemical Sciences, Professor M.A. Ishchenko.
- A new methodology in ECS technology
- Achievements in ECS technology and chemistry abroad
- Calculation of energy characteristics of mixed solid rocket fuels
- Cellulose and cellulose nitrate technology
- Cellulose and cellulose nitrates
- Cellulose esters
- Chemical technology of energy-saturated materials
- Chemistry and technology of ballistic powders
- Chemistry and technology of nitroesters
- Chemistry and technology of pyroxylic powders
- Computer methods for calculating the production of polymer compositions
- Conversion technologies and promising polymer materials
- Fundamentals of scientific research
- Fundamentals of technological production safety
- Innovations in polymer chemistry and technology
- Internal ballistics of barrel systems
- Internal ballistics of rocket engines
- Modern methods of research of polymer materials
- Operational properties of gunpowder and solid rocket fuels
- Physics of polymers
- Polymer chemistry
- Rheology of filled polymers
- SRT technology
- SRT. Components, requirements, properties
- Technology of filled polymers
- Theoretical foundations of the production and processing of polymer materials
- Urgent tasks in the chemistry of gunpowder and solid rocket fuels
During subsequent years, new laboratories and departments would emerge where scientists would conduct research work on the technology of varnishes and paints and the technology of rubber synthesis. Moreover, new autonomous departments would come to the fore as a result of fusions of Departments of General Chemical Technology, General Silicate Technology, X-ray Technology, Physical Education, and Processes and Apparatuses. Other departments, such as the Department of Paper and Pulp Technology, were soon discontinued.
Closely linked departments were combined into faculties, whose quantity and composition changed in the 1930s. In 1931, 11 departments were created in place of three faculties, but the division into faculties headed by deans was already reinstated by 1933.
LICT reserved space for a separate faculty to train specialists for military enterprises. The all-important LICT defense students were divided into three categories: full-time students (unemployed), working students (employed at enterprises), and part-time students. The latter were part of a different administrative sector. The LICT defense students were involved in crucial military-related projects. Particularly, they worked on the development of solid fuel for the first Soviet missiles. In addition, a glassblowing workshop was organized under the leadership of S.S. Alifanov.
When LICT started to operate under the People's Commissariat of Heavy Industry in 1932, the study period was extended from four to five years.
In the 1930s, the Institute's administration turned its attention to attracting potential applicants. Print prospectuses and booklets offering admission guidelines were sent to schools in Leningrad and other cities in an effort to boost enrollment. Additionally, up to 1,000 posters were put up in classrooms and public spaces, 1,500 copies of a special edition of the Institute's journal were distributed to businesses and educational institutions in Leningrad, and radio broadcasts were arranged. Ads were listed in 12 regional and 5 factory newspapers, large billboards were installed in different districts of the city, and 200 artistically decorated photo posters were displayed in city tram cars.
Speaking in Leningrad schools, LICT professors and teachers occasionally showed clips from short documentaries on students' daily lives and lab work. The Institute's history was chronicled in featurettes that played in movie theaters in Leningrad, Pskov, Novgorod, Borovichi, and Staraya Russa.
Open days and meetings for middle school graduates with LICT professors were held in the Institute's assembly hall in the evenings. Every year, up to 600 individuals would join the Institute's chemistry club.
In the 1930s, LICT suffered from an acute shortage of premises for conducting classes. It was partially offset by repurposing the existing areas. Namely, a rubber laboratory was set up in the Trustee's Building, a lab for pyrogenetic processes was installed in the tractor lab, and student labs from various chemical departments were relocated to the museum. Lastly, classrooms occupied part of the premises of the closed church.
New buildings were also being added to the LICT premises around this time. A four-story dormitory, known as the “House of Commune”, was built and ready for occupancy by 1930. In 1939, a fifth story was added to it.
The New Chemical Building went into service in 1932, accommodating four specialized laboratories. In 1939, the Main Building’s basement area was transformed into coatrooms, which allowed for the expansion of the canteen by using the extra space left over from the first coatroom. The old canteen building was transformed into a brand-new structure.
In 1940, the various departments of the Faculty of Engineering Chemistry and Technology were housed in the Main Building's left wing and the former canteen.
Training new scientists was a crucial part of LICT's activity. There were 17 graduate students enrolled in LICT in 1930. The first class of students who successfully completed their dissertations graduated in 1935. Among them was T.G. Plachenov, who would go on to become a distinguished professor and expert on active coals. I.S. Ioffe was the first to defend a doctoral dissertation at the Department of Dye Synthesis. Overall, 137 dissertations were successfully defended at the Institute between 1935 and 1940.
The Cabinet of Technical Propaganda developed curricula and programs for technical education. It also organized clubs, exhibitions, lectures, in-person consultations, and more. Senior students were involved in these initiatives as well.
60 fundamental enterprises were assigned to LICT to ensure the uninterrupted organization of students' industrial practice. Three different types of internships were available in the 1939/40 academic year: introductory for third-year students (organized by the Departments of General Chemical Technology and Processes and Apparatuses; 349 participants); technological for fourth-year students (405 participants); and pre-graduate for fifth-year students (331 participants).
The Department was founded in May 1930 as an integral part of the Faculty of Military Chemistry. The Department was established in response to the ongoing global tensions. In developed countries, military technology was advancing, and new chemical weapons were being produced. The world was preparing for an armed conflict. After the war broke out, the Department was evacuated to Kazan and functioned as part of the S.M. Kirov Kazan Chemical Technology Institute.
Students and teachers worked in the workshops, manufacturing goods for the needs of the front, such as indicator tubes for the identification of mustard gas, lewisite, phosgene, and diphosgene. During the post-war years, the Department took a serious turn towards scientific research, which was driven by the efforts of its scientists. One of their main priorities was the development of technologies for obtaining medicines. As a consequence, soon the first domestically produced drugs, Embikhin and Novembikhin, for treating inoperable forms of cancer entered clinical use. In 1951, Professor L.F. Larionov and Doctor of Chemical Sciences V.G. Nemets were awarded the State Prize for the introduction of Embikhin and Novembikhin into medical practice. Currently, the Department's research interests lie in areas identified by the Russian government as important for the advancement of national science, technology, and engineering. These include the synthesis of new compounds of organoelement, aromatic, and heterocyclic series that can potentially be used for the production of antiviral, antimicrobial, and anti-tuberculosis drugs. Likewise, studies of the fine structure of organic compounds to establish the mechanism of their interaction with biotargets are conducted. There is also research on the biological screening of synthesized substances, with subsequent computer optimization of the structure of the leading compounds. Effort is being made to improve technologies for the synthesis of existing drugs in order to increase the selectivity of physiological action, reduce toxicity, and increase profitability. Lastly, the Department is working on the introduction of biochemical methods for the indication of highly toxic substances and is developing methods for the neutralization of environmentally hazardous compounds. Presently, the Department is headed by a Doctor of Chemical Sciences, Professor V.I. Krutikov.
- Chemistry and technology of biologically active substances
- Chemistry and technology of pesticides
- Chemistry of heterocyclic compounds
- Chemistry of medicines
- Fundamentals of environmental chemistry
- Fundamentals of experiment safety
- Fundamentals of plant and animal physiology and biology
- Fundamentals of standardization during chemical experiments
- Fundamentals of toxicology of physiologically active substances
- Industrial organic chemistry
- Mechanisms of the reactions of organic synthesis
- Technology, equipment, and design of plants for the production of biologically active substances
The first University of Culture in the USSR was opened at LICT in 1933. The primary goal of this institution was to offer the workers in Leningrad remedial cultural education. The University of Culture had its own curriculum and a specially selected faculty staff. The teachers gave lectures on world studies (now this subject is known as the “Concepts of Modern Natural Science”), general history, the history of theater, and the history of chemistry.
A student mutual aid fund was established at LICT. Over the 12 years of its existence, it accumulated assets of 250,000 rubles and issued about 15,000 short-term loans per year. It also issued more than 2,000 long-term and almost 500 irrevocable loans over the same period. The fund paid for trips to the theater, cinema, and museums. It also covered the expenses associated with the purchase of necessary household items. The student aid fund also financed workshops (hairdressing, shoemaking, etc.). Students received vouchers that could be used to pay for lodging at hostels or sanatoriums.
By the late 1920s, Soviet Russia was engulfed by industrialization. New enterprises that did not exist in pre-revolutionary Russia sprang up all over the country.
Securing domestic production of key technology was crucial, as demonstrated by the disastrous experience of the First World War, when the nation's imports of sophisticated equipment were suspended due to trade routes being blocked. If this situation remained unchanged, the country would not be able to defend itself in the looming war.
One of the most challenging fields was chemical technology, and LICT was at the forefront of the struggle for the incorporation of chemical technology in the domestic industry.
The Institute’s main task and contribution were training competent process engineers for enterprises in the chemical industry. LICT graduates from the newly established departments of Technology of Glass, Plastics, Synthetic rubber, Lacquers and Paints played a significant role in the development and management of corresponding establishments.
The Institute collaborated with manufacturing enterprises such as “Lakokraska”, “Himplastmass”, “Rubber-Asbestos Association”, “All-Union Association of Artificial Fiber”, and others.
The Department, which was reportedly first led by I.P. Molotkov was established in 1931 as a direct result of the nation's extensive industrialization. It was prompted by the demand for production engineers with a solid understanding of economics and the need for process engineers in the chemical industry. Therefore, the curriculum for process engineering covered topics such as “economics of the chemical industry” and “organization and planning of production”. Currently, the Department offers training in the specialties “Economics and management at the enterprise” and “Economics” (Bachelor of Economics) in addition to providing economic training for process engineers. Research at the Department covers a wide range of topics, including the effectiveness of corporate governance, business investment management, small business economics and taxation, and equipment modernization. Currently, the Department is led by a Candidate of Economic Sciences, Associate Professor E.Yu. Bezukladova.
- Economics theory
- Fundamentals of accounting, planning, economics of investments and foreign economic activity, crisis management and control, modern methods of information analysis and processing, economic justification of management decisions
- Fundamentals of management
- Organization and legal regulation of entrepreneurship
In the 1930s, the idea of self-financing became relevant in the USSR. It authorized state organizations to execute orders on behalf of third-party organizations in exchange for remuneration. The government encouraged the application of the self-financing model in all spheres, including academia. For example, in the 1932/33 academic year, the volume of contractual research work summed up to 1.5 million rubles.
In the early 1930s, several experimental facilities were established at LICT, including five for the Faculty of Chemical Engineering and Technology. In addition to assisting students in learning new technologies, they made it possible to initiate domestic production of essential goods.
These facilities allowed LICT to produce 120 thousand ampules of chemically pure reagents and 300 thousand tubes of artisan paint in 1934. The personnel of the electrotechnical laboratory mastered the production of automatic oscilloscopes with six loops. These developments ended the importation of these products, conserving scarce foreign currency.
The Department of Foreign Languages, first headed by E.G. Johansen-Hegel, was founded in 1931. Its top priority is to assist students in acquiring a high level of competency in English, German, and French. This guarantees that students graduate with high levels of proficiency in foreign languages for both daily and business settings. In all fields of training, classes are offered for groups of undergraduate and graduate students. The Department's research focuses on creating cutting-edge methods for teaching languages. Innovative teaching techniques are developed using computer-based resources that are tailored to technical universities. Experienced and competent staff offer students highly effective training. During the 2016/2017 academic years, the Department’s employees updated the foreign language midterms for first- and second-year students of the first through fifth faculties using MOODLE. Staff members publish scholarly papers regularly and serve on the editorial board of the Institute. Every year, the Department’s researchers publish instructional materials, abstracts, and academic papers in the wake of conferences of various levels held in Saint Petersburg and other cities in Russia, as well as abroad. Since the 1940s, the Institute has maintained a long-standing tradition of teaching Russian as a foreign language. Beginning in 1947, foreign students who enrolled at the Institute would pursue careers in the chemical sector in the post-war socialist republics. M.A. Birzon was the Institute’s first teacher of Russian as a foreign language. Currently, the Department is headed by a Candidate of Philological Sciences, Associate Professor A.V. Yung.
- Foreign language in the field of professional communication (Master's degree program)
- Foreign languages (English, German, French)
- Second foreign language
The Department of Foreign Languages, first headed by E.G. Johansen-Hegel, was founded in 1931. Its top priority is to assist students in acquiring a high level of competency in English, German, and French. This guarantees that students graduate with high levels of proficiency in foreign languages for both daily and business settings. In all fields of training, classes are offered for groups of undergraduate and graduate students. The Department's research focuses on creating cutting-edge methods for teaching languages. Innovative teaching techniques are developed using computer-based resources that are tailored to technical universities. Experienced and competent staff offer students highly effective training. During the 2016/2017 academic years, the Department’s employees updated the foreign language midterms for first- and second-year students of the first through fifth faculties using MOODLE. Staff members publish scholarly papers regularly and serve on the editorial board of the Institute. Every year, the Department’s researchers publish instructional materials, abstracts, and academic papers in the wake of conferences of various levels held in Saint Petersburg and other cities in Russia, as well as abroad. Since the 1940s, the Institute has maintained a long-standing tradition of teaching Russian as a foreign language. Beginning in 1947, foreign students who enrolled at the Institute would pursue careers in the chemical sector in the post-war socialist republics. M.A. Birzon was the Institute’s first teacher of Russian as a foreign language. Currently, the Department is headed by a Candidate of PhiWomen have had access to higher education in Russia since the 1870s, although it was not widely available. Notably, establishing the Higher Women's Polytechnic Courses in 1906 marked the beginning of technical education for women in Russia. The Courses were located opposite the main building of the Institute and hired many of the scientists working at Technolozhka.
After 1917, women gained full access to the same academic opportunities as men. This change eventually spread to technical colleges and other institutions of higher education. Women began to be admitted to Technolozhka by the early 1920s. Lily Yalmarovna Palmen, who worked at the Bolshevik plant and co-built the engine for the first Soviet T-18 tank (MS-1), was one of the first women to graduate from Petrograd Institute of Technology in 1923.
Since the Soviet government was interested in allowing women to join the workforce, daycare programs burst forth in the country. Leningrad Institute of Chemical Technology had its own childcare program. Children of the Institute’s employees spent their entire day at the LICT daycare, which allowed their parents—mostly mothers—to focus on their studies and jobs.
lological Sciences, Associate Professor A.V. Yung.
The Department was established in 1931 as an integral part of the Special Faculty training engineers for the defense industry. It was organized and headed by Doctor of Chemical Sciences, Professor E.V. Alekseevsky, who was a pupil of the academician A.E. Favorsky.
E.V. Alexeevsky rose to prominence in the field of analytical chemistry and is known as a co-author of the seminal textbook titled “Quantitative analysis: a textbook for universities”. The position was filled from 1947 to 1976 by Honored Worker of Science and Technology of the RSFSR, Doctor of Technical Sciences, Professor T.G. Plachenov. Due to the intensive development of adsorption technology in the postwar period, the Department significantly expanded the scope of its research. The researchers were actively involved in the work of the Scientific Council on Adsorption of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR. During that period, they developed activated carbon technologies using lignin, peat, and carbon molecular sieves from synthetic resins. Since the 1970s, research has been undertaken to develop novel technologies for obtaining porous sorption materials by adding nanoscale powdery substances such as carbon and inorganic materials. Technologies have been developed for the production of porous materials, including in the form of compounds, by removing crystalline elements from their structure (e.g., carbides, carbonitrides). In essence, many of these technological solutions can be considered prototypes of nanotechnology. Nowadays, the Department pioneers technologies relating to high-performance spherical carbon adsorbents, including adsorbents modified by various heteroatoms, new mixed alkaline chemical absorbers, bactericidal porous materials, mesoporous mesophase materials, carbon ion exchange sorbents from organic carbon-containing waste, and others. Presently, the Department is headed by Doctor of Technical Sciences, Professor V.V. Samonin.
- Chemistry and technology of adsorbents, chemosorbents, catalysts, and solid oxygen sources
- Equipment and basics of designing plants for the production of materials and products of sorption technology
- Industrial adsorption
- Ion exchange materials and their application
- Latest developments in the chemistry and technology of sorbents
- Methods for the determination of pollution in natural and wastewater
- Methods of investigation of highly dispersed and porous bodies
- Principles of establishing life support systems
- Technology of individual and collective respiratory protection equipment
- Theoretical foundations of adsorption
- Water chemistry
The Department, first led by Professor A.A. Grinberg, was established in 1936 following the merger of the Departments of Quantitative and Qualitative Analyses. Its numerous scientific accomplishments are associated with the name of a renowned scientist, Corresponding Member of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR and the RAS, Doctor of Chemical Sciences, Professor V.B. Aleskovsky, who headed the department from 1949 to 1965. V.B. Aleskovsky founded modern scientific and scientific-pedagogical schools at the Department of Analytical Chemistry. In 1959, V.B. Aleskovsky established a laboratory for the study of trace elements and substances of high purity. The lab employed a large group of researchers who worked on systematizing methods of concentration and determination of traces of metals (elements) in natural and marine waters to facilitate the search for ore deposits. The Department is currently headed by Doctor of Chemical Sciences, Professor V.I. Zarembo. Under his guidance, the Department’s team has conducted research on the application of tensoimpulse regulation of nonequilibrium heterogeneous physicochemical processes for more than 20 years now. The researchers investigate, generalize, and explicate the regulatory effects of a weak pulsed electric current flowing in close proximity or through a concentrated medium that undergoes nonequilibrium physicochemical transformations. This method makes it possible to accelerate the hardening process of products made of monolithic, cellular, and reinforced cement concrete. Therefore, the speed of polymerization processes can be increased in thermo- and photo-cured polymer systems. Finally, this method allows for the reduction in the proportion of active centers in the polymer and an increase in the degree of conversion of monomers and the average molecular weight of macromolecules. In 2001 and 2011, the Russian Academy of Sciences awarded Professor V.I. Zarembo and his team diplomas and medals for their discoveries.
- Analysis and investigation of the condensed phase of inorganic materials
- Analytical chemistry and physicochemical methods of analysis
- Information technologies in chemistry
- Special courses for undergraduates and the Faculty of Advanced Training
The Department was founded in 1936 and was first headed by Professor K.F. Pavlov. It conducted research relating to numerous defense-related projects during the Great Patriotic War. Among other things, the Department initiated the production of chemical and pharmaceutical supplies necessary for the front, such as ethylene chloride, in addition to developing a method of vacuum drying blood plasma. K.F. Pavlov, P.G. Romankov, and A.A. Noskov published the first edition of the textbook “Examples and tasks for the course of processes and devices of chemical technology” in 1947. It soon became the main guidebook not only for students but also for young specialists, chemical engineers, and mechanics. The Department frequently addresses new directions in research. It was one of the first to study the fluid dynamics of the fluidized bed and its application in various processes of chemical technology (drying, adsorption, extraction). The Department conducts extensive research on hydrodynamic processes (mixing liquid media, filtration, and centrifugation) and hardware design. The researchers regularly participate in international conferences, congresses, and symposiums. Notably, staff members are popularizing the use of chemical equipment in various industries and have been directly involved in the implementation of a state contract from the Ministry of Education and Science for oil sludge and acid tar processing. New techniques and equipment for processing oil sludge were developed and eventually patented during this project. Currently, the Department is headed by Doctor of Technical Sciences, Professor O.M. Flisyuk.
- Engineering design of technological processes
- Heat and mass transfer processes
- Processes and devices of chemical production
- Processes and devices of chemical technology
- Technical thermodynamics and heat engineering
- Technological processes and enterprises
- Theoretical foundations of technological production
The Department was founded in 1937 as an independent structural unit. The first head of the Department was a veteran of the Great Patriotic War, Candidate of Pedagogical Sciences, Associate Professor A.A. Koltsova, who was awarded the Order of the Red Star and numerous medals. From 1962 to 1992, the Department was headed by another veteran of the Great Patriotic War, Honored Worker of Physical Culture of the Russian Federation, Honorary Academician of the Baltic Pedagogical Academy, Candidate of Pedagogical Sciences and Professor N.V. Tkachev who received numerous medals and awards. The Department was at its busiest during his tenure due to an increase in the number of lecturers and sports sections. Teams from the Institute excelled in many contests. Students at the Department included masters-level athletes who adeptly combined academics with athletics. Notably, Yuri Morozov, an LICT alumnus, rose to prominence as a respected football coach for both Russia and the USSR. He coached the Zenit team and brought home the bronze. The Department has developed and embraced progressive models of teaching physical and health education, science, research, and methodology by utilizing expertise over a long period of time, the athletic traditions of the Institute, the equipment available, and the staff of lecturers. The Department's physical education program was designed from the ground up, utilizing methods that meet modern requirements for a university curriculum. Mass sporting and recreational activities are planned by the Department of Physical Education employees, and many of them have become yearly rituals. These include interfaculty athletic competitions between students, an autumnal race in Evgeny Arkhangelsky's honor, and a mass race for the Technologist prize. Currently, the Department is headed by Candidate of Pedagogical Sciences, Associate Professor T.E. Kovshura.
- Arm wrestling
- Mini football
- Power triathlon
- Sports aerobics
- Table tennis
- Women's basketball
- Women's mini football
The Department was founded in 1937 and was first headed by Candidate of Chemical Sciences, Associate Professor V.G. Pavlyshin. During the inter-war period, there was an acute need to increase the manufacture of explosives and gunpowder. In light of the lessons learned from the First World War, plans were made to produce toxic substances, chemical protection items, and pyrotechnic compositions. The scientific school of the Department formed by Professor V.G. Pavlyshin, can be defined as a school of chemical combustion of pyrotechnic compositions. At the same time, special attention is paid to the processes that occur in the reaction zone of the condensed phase of the burning charge. It is mainly these processes that control the combustion rate of the pyrotechnic composition and determine the impact of various external factors. They also regulate the structural and technological parameters of compositions and charges, and largely determine the effect of their action. This approach constitutes the scientific and methodological basis for the development of pyrotechnic compositions with the necessary properties that guarantee their efficient application. Over the years, the scientific school has proven its practical relevance and been praised by eminent professionals and corporate organizations. Today the Department is headed by a laureate of the State Prize, an academician of the International Academy of Sciences of Higher School, member of the American Institute of Chemists, Doctor of Technical Sciences, Professor A.S. Dudyrev. He graduated from the Department in 1968 and has worked at the Institute of Technology for the last 50 years.
- Construction of pyrotechnic products
- Development and design of pyroautomatics and rocket and space technology
- Development of compositions of active influence on the weather
- Development of pyrotechnic compositions
- Equipment of plastic mass processing plants
- Forecasting the scientific and technical quality of pyrotechnic products
- Fundamentals of pyrotechnic production design
- Fundamentals of the design of pyrotechnic compositions and products for various purposes
- Fundamentals of the theory of combustion of heterogeneous systems
- Introduction to pyrotechnics (components of pyrotechnic compositions)
- Technologies for obtaining new materials by self-propagating high-temperature synthesis
- Technology of manufacturing pyrotechnic products
- The use of computer technology in engineering and economic calculations at the pyrotechnics course
In 1939, the Soviet-Finnish War broke out on November 30. The Finns relied on the strong defenses of the Mannerheim Line on the Karelian Isthmus that Soviet troops were unable to breach. The offensive in Karelia, where mobile detachments of Finnish skiers stopped the Red Army's advancing columns, also fell short.
From December to January, efforts were made to strengthen the Soviet Army. To that end, two ski detachments were established at the Leningrad Institute of Chemical Technology, where qualified volunteers were admitted. From among them, the best ones were selected and deployed to the Karelian Isthmus.
Students collected gifts for veterans. Many gave blood for wounded soldiers. After classes, women worked in the hospital as caretakers and nurses.
A decisive offensive that broke through the Mannerheim line started in February 1940. Finding itself on the verge of collapse, Finland agreed to sign a peace treaty, ceding the Karelian Isthmus to the USSR.
All the LICT skiers managed to survive the war. In March 1940, they returned to the Institute, where they were given a warm welcome.
The Department of the Technology of Energy-Saturated Materials was established at the Institute as Department No. 41 (Technology of Ammunition Equipment) by Professor Andrey Egorovich Pereverzev in 1939. It first emerged as an integral part of the Special Faculty of Military Chemistry founded in 1930. The Department's name changed several times, even though the research areas remained the same. Specifically, Department No. 41, as it was called from 1939 to 1959, changed into Department No. 0816 in 1959. Since 1976, it has gone by the name of the Department of Chemical Power Engineering. For many years, the scientific and pedagogical school organized by A.E. Pereverzev focused on building equipment for the defense industry. A.E. Perecerzev’s scientific and technological findings concerning various aspects of the manufacture, processing, and use of energy-saturated materials and products are still relevant to this day. In addition to the actively developing field of “Chemical Technology of Energy-Saturated Materials and Products”, research into “Technospheric Safety” has been robust since 1997, as indicated by the Institute’s offer of Bachelor’s and Master’s programs.
Due to the need to guarantee safe processing conditions for energy-saturated and fire-explosive materials, which has long been a high priority for the Department's experts, this topic is of particular importance. Furthermore, it is worth mentioning the already completed studies on the safety requirements for the pneumatic processing and pneumatic transport of explosive materials, as well as the work conducted to ensure the fire and explosion safety of the Energia-Buran rocket and space system. This work was guided by Professor A.S. Afanasyev and Associate Professor A.S. Mazur. The technology of high-energy materials and products has always been the focus of the Department's research, construction initiatives, and experimental investigations. The professors of the Department are members of the largest North-Western Councils on Combustion and Explosives at the Russian Academy of Sciences. Lecturers employed at the Department regularly take part in International and all-Russian conferences on industrial safety issues.
- Analytical chemistry
- Applied explosion physics
- Chemical physics of energy-saturated materials
- Chemical resistance of materials and corrosion protection
- Colloidal chemistry
- Disposal of ammunition
- Engineering blasting operations
- Equipment of energy-saturated materials
- Examination of accidents and catastrophes
- Hydroaerodynamics of industrial apparatuses
- Industrial explosives technology
- Information safety
- Justification of the safety of technological processes
- Life-cycle of equipment for chemical production
- Management of hazard protection systems
- Methods for optimizing security programs
- Security management in the technosphere
- Security monitoring
- Technology of hazardous industries
- Theory of combustion and explosion
- Theory of deformable solids
- Theory of dispersed systems
By 1940, 50% of Technolozhka students were boarded in recently refurbished dorms with brand-new furnishings and linens. The dining area of the hostel on the Yakovlevsky Lane was opened, and the seating capacity was expanded.
The Institute had three faculties during the last academic year before the war (1940–1941): technology, chemical engineering, and mechanics.
In the course of that year, students were free to attend classes in a variety of subject areas. During the winter exam session, students were granted the right to independently set exam dates during the exam period.
1941 was slated to be the first year the Institute graduated specialists of a wide profile. The percentage of lectures in the curriculum was raised to 34% of all classes, which was nearly equal to the percentage of seminars (36%). Broad scientific fields made for 40.5% of the academic volume in terms of subjects. 19% less time was spent on specialty fields.
The 1941 graduates did not complete their education. On June 22, the Great Patriotic War began.